Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Top 5 Things That Piss KB Off: Pool Edition


Well, it’s about that time again. Time for me to go on an extended rant about the top 5 things that piss me off at any given location/situation.

Considering the fact that I spend most of my waking hours at the pool lifeguarding, it seemed fitting that this week’s top 5 should be pool related.

So sit back, enjoy, and quit bringing your little asshole kids swimming.

5. Asking the hours/how much it costs
            I don’t know if people are just that lazy or just that stupid. Either way, the pool hours are listed on a sign that you have to pass to get into the pool. Our prices are listen on the wall right by the counter. And yet… multiple times a day I have people come in that ask what our hours are or how much it costs. Or my all time favorite, when people come in WHEN THERE ARE ALREADY PEOPLE IN THE POOL and ask “are you guys open?” You would be shocked how often this happens. And every time it does, I have to work to hold in a cuttingly sarcastic comment. Not because the comment would be inappropriate (which it would be) but because the idiot wouldn’t understand it was sarcasm.
 "I saw people in the pool so... are you guys open or not?"

4. Dealing with weird amounts of money
            I understand trying to get rid of your change. I do it too. But I do it like a regular person and take it to the bank. I don’t send my child to the pool with 6 dollars worth of pennies. Have you ever had to count out multiple dollars worth of pennies just so some 8-year-old who already weighs more than you can buy junk food to make them even fatter? It’s so frustrating! An equally shitty thing happens when people try to break their bills at the pool. Look around, asshole. The pool is about 100 years old. The workers are between the ages of 15 and 22. Our “cash register” is a box over-flowing with ones and the aforementioned pennies. What makes you think that we have the ability to break a 100-dollar bill for you? Better question, while I’m breaking your hundred, would you also like me to bring you a unicorn?
 "Can I get a pickle pop, a Dr. Pepper, Funyons, and 5,000 other empty calories?"

3. When people ask why the pool is dirty
            In case in the many instances where I’ve talked about the pool you didn’t catch that the pool is outdoors, let me repeat: I WORK AT AN OUTDOOR POOL. Yet almost every day, someone (even adults who you think would be smarter than that) comes up to me and asks “why are there so many leaves in the pool?” Uhhhh LOOK THE F@CK AROUND!!! YOU ARE IN NATURE! Instead of saying that, I explain that the wind blows leaves and bugs into the pool and the filter system works to keep that stuff out of there… while repeatedly stabbing myself in the temple.
 "But I just don't understand how those leaves got in there!"

2. When people contribute to the filth in the pool
            Hey, guess what? While I can’t stop the wind from blowing leaves into the pool, we can all stop it from blowing garbage into the pool by… THROWING OUR SHIT AWAY. I know schools are dealing with budget restrictions and from the behavior of kids at the pool, I’m guessing that garbage bins were the first to go in favor of just throwing everything on the ground. Every day after the pool closes I have to walk around wearing gloves (because I’m sure as hell not about to touch anything that has been in a kid’s hand and/or mouth) picking up all their garbage on the ground. Seriously, for every piece of garbage that a kid puts in the garbage, there are about 5 pieces lying on the ground. I’m starting to understand America’s obesity epidemic because apparently every kid is too lazy to walk 5 yards to the garbage can.
 After an average afternoon at the pool

1. Naughty kids
            Come on. You guys know me pretty well by now and my views on children are well established. And if you thought my views of children are harsh, that’s just because you’ve never had to deal with children like THIS. I’ve been lifeguarding for a long time and I’m pretty good at spotting kids doing things wrong. Of course, all kids think they’re fricken genius stealthy criminal masterminds and think I can’t see them. If it wasn’t so annoying, it would be hilarious. Every day there is at least one naughty kid who waits until he/she thinks I’m not watching and then pulls some crap that they know would get them in trouble. Of course, 90% of the time they do this, I see them and yell. If they’ve done this repeatedly, I sit them out in the hopes that the public shame and close proximity to me will ruin their day as much as dealing with them has ruined mine. Normally this just backfires though because I get so annoyed with them sitting that close to me that I let them back in the water after about 3 minutes.
I'm petitioning to get some stocks put in at the pool. That'll teach 'em

Well, that’s it. I mean, there are obviously many, MANY other things that piss me off at work—it is ME, we’re talking about—but that’s all the time we have for now. All I’m saying is, if you hear about some small-town lifeguard going postal and blowing up the pool, don’t even bother reading the news story because it’s probably me.

No comments:

Post a Comment