Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Twilight! Twi-not?


Well I know that last week I had an “Olympics Part 1” blog implying that there would be a Part 2 this week. However, something much more important has come up.

I, Katherine Anne Buhler, have started watching the Twilight series.

And really the only words I can say are… holy. f@ck.

Rae and I decided to start watching all of the movies because it is her last couple days in town. And nothing says “I’m gonna miss you” quite like nasty pasty vampires and a human who is only able show emotion through heavy panting and lip biting. We’ve so far watched the first two movies and half of the third. I’m counting down the hours until we’re done.


I know after I read “50 Shades of Grey” I had a talk with both Bella and Anastasia about what was wrong with them and I really don’t want to rehash what I’ve already said but…

Come on! This is ridiculous.

I thought the first movie was bad in terms of Bella becoming ridiculously over-attached to Edward but the second and third are even worse. I mean, the message of these books seems to be telling girls, “if your boyfriend leaves you, you really have nothing to live for. Sit alone in your room for months on end completely ignoring your friends because what do friends matter when the guy you’ve been dating for a month is gone?”
Without Edward, I have no reason to live... 

Seriously, Bella is like the worst friend ever. The minute she gets a boyfriend, she completely ditches them. When he leaves, she decides to be friends with them again until… “Oh, wait. Edward’s back so… I guess I’ll see you guys later.”

I can totally understand why this book is so popular with young girls. It sends the exact message that all young girls need: you are worthless without a man.

That’s not to say Edward is any better. I mean, he goes around saying stuff like “you are my everything” and “I couldn’t live in this world if you weren’t a part of it” and “you’re my own personal brand of heroine.” I’ve never been one to make fun of a guy for being whipped because I think it’s sweet when they like being with their girlfriend but… this is a little much. I mean, he spends months watching her sleep, follows her around a town while she’s shopping without her knowing because he feels “very protective” of her, and then tries to kill himself when he thinks she’s dead. That doesn’t exactly scream “happy, normal, well-adjusted, stable relationship.”
Well, Bella's dead so... I guess I'll die too. I mean, whatever

On top of these huge plot shortcomings, the acting is absolutely terrible. I know I’ve already ripped into Kristen Stewart for her inane notion that heavy breathing, lip biting, and brushing her hair back is a legitimate means of conveying emotion but she’s not alone.
 This is her happy face

Robert Pattinson’s go to facial expression is a combination of someone being stabbed repeatedly while also suffering from severe constipation. On top of that, he has one of the worst American accents I’ve ever heard. I can occasionally pick up hints of his British accent or he over accentuates words and they come out sounding like he’s a cowboy. Long story short, he should have stayed dead-Cedric in “Harry Potter”
This is also his happy face 

Taylor Lautner isn’t much better. His acting choices involve scrunching his face up to show he’s in pain… or thinking… or sad… or happy. Considering the fact that his face is already scrunched up from the car accident (or whatever unfortunate thing caused him to look like that), that’s not saying much for his range.
 What emotion is he trying to convey? Even he's not sure.

I will, however, give credit where credit is due. The guy who plays Charlie, Bella’s dad is pretty awesome. And he knows how to rock a mustache with the best of them. Anna Kendrick and the other high school kids (aka the “friends” Bella constantly ditches) are also pretty good. Although, maybe that’s just because they don’t have adequate screen time to show how bad they are. Honestly, the bulk of the movies are Edward and Bella (sometimes with Jacob) staring longingly at each other.

Long story short, even though I wasted my time with these movies, I wouldn’t recommend that you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment